kinda bumped into this by accident but i thought it would be worth sharing. Its a small mcpherson design with adjustable toe in/out and caster, steering works fine regardless. wheelbase is pretty much unaffected.

20141031_112145_zps0a13cd10.jpg

20141031_112207_zps4664d586.jpg

20141031_112218_zps905ef297.jpg

20141031_112335_zps1984cc90.jpg

20141031_112314_zpsb12281ce.jpg

srry for the crappy pics.

The problem is that you also need to adjust the steering. In some instances this will give you nasty bump steer :)

@zblj & jantjeuh, its indeed that tire, i used tape on the inside for the proper shape.

Its not that fragile actually, the piece that guides the strut and is connected to the 9l axle does bend a bit as compression increases but its doesnt get loose from the axle, maybe because the strut is pivoted slightly diagonal and the forces on the guiding piece are directed slightly inwards.

@lpe, you are right about the bump steer, sharp 8) with suspension compressed steering increases on both the inside and outside wheel.

That's not that he ment.

That's how you adjust the caster. But how do you adjust the toe in/out once you adjusted the caster? Because the toe changes when you adjust the caster and then the wheel alignment is all off and you get increased bump steer aswell. So you need to either move the steering rack up or adjust the attachment points of the steering arms on the wheel hubs, to reflect that.

Edited by nicjasno

Firstly, I know that it is not good to bump old topics like this, but I remembered this suspension I thought it would be perfect for a project I have in mind. However, once I found this topic, I realised that the images don't work. Do you have a copy of the images that you could share with me?

@Epic Technic They do "work", right click the image, and then "open in a new window" . Photobucket no longer allows for free hosting on other websites

Edited by Xewyz2001

47 minutes ago, Xewyz2001 said:

@Epic Technic They do work, right click the image, and then "open in a new window" . Photobucket no longer allows for free hosting on other websites

Just as if Imageshack slapping on a '500 Photo Limit' for standard accounts in 2012 and then changing to a paid subscription type business model a few years later wasn't draconian enough...