glendo

The Brick separator Virus

I found a good use for my excess supply of separators:

15700744817_82ae772f16_z.jpgIMG_0289 by Ade-27, on Flickr

I still can't find my container of spares (including the green one that came with PC) so I built that without being able to use a separator at all, which was a real pain. I have since found a couple floating around.

Edited by Xyver

If people have too many of the new orange separators, I would gladly take them off your hands. I buy a lot of bulk lots, and I wear them out often breaking things down. I would pay you for shipping of course. :-)

I found a good use for my excess supply of separators:

15700744817_82ae772f16_z.jpgIMG_0289 by Ade-27, on Flickr

That's the way to go!

Unfortunately the orange colour does not fit in nicely everywhere, except if you're building something for the agents' villains...

I think getting free brick separators is a silly thing to complain about, other than the fact that I paid previously for my first two old-style green ones, plus one new orange one (when they first came out, before it was obvious they were going to be given away in sets).

I look at my old damaged vintage lego from my childhood of the late 70s/early 80s and see the signs from using teeth, kitchen knives etc. back then to try to separate my lego. Now with the proliferation of these current separators no child out there should have to go without one.

Maybe seeing the brick separator as a brick is the mistake here?

The brick separator is made to separate bricks and in doing so it gets quite worn - hence you get a new one in various sets.

Maybe you are too good builders to use them enough?

I agree with you, Kim. New separator with sharper edge is not built to last forever, like previuos one was. And I certainly will not complain, if I get something for free.

And I certainly will not complain, if I get something for free.

As others have pointed out you are not getting it for "free". When you buy a set and it comes with it the cost is included with the set. And most of the people in this topic are usually buying the bigger set witch comes with the separator.

I think getting free brick separators is a silly thing to complain about, other than the fact that I paid previously for my first two old-style green ones

Me too.

New separator with sharper edge is not built to last forever, like previuos one was.

I have observed the same. So, separator lifetime is surely limited.

I must say counting the separators we have, we do have too many. So I thought about it and it could be used as a nice roof technique:

Us8RLGTl.jpg

Wkh83USl.jpg

dYt9JKBl.jpg

Quick idea I threw together.

The brick separator is made to separate bricks and in doing so it gets quite worn - hence you get a new one in various sets.

Agreed, I was making a huge mini figure display that spans about four of the largest baseplates, and I utilized a lot of PAB plates and bricks for it. I went through about six or seven of my separators after the edge got worn out after heavy use... So I'm glad I have a bunch!

They look good as keychains though... I'd rather walk with a seperator than a minifig one. :blush::wink:

Oh dear... I have a tower of 80 of these sitting on my desk!?! :look:

Oh and BTW, if you do any tech servicing, I find these suckers are way better at popping open laptops than those flimsy little manufacturers wedges.

Well, whatever you do with it, the orange colour is a problem.

Very few sets/MOCs can stand the use of orange.

The City Arctic theme (as well as Agents as noted above) provides a good setting for them.

I've been trying to find razor cartridges to snap on to the end of mine to use for shaving.

They are like hockey pucks in Canada. You could move here from China just for a year, not learn any english, just go to school/work and such. It would be time to move and while you're packing up you'd find a half dozen hockey pucks, despite a complete lack of knowledge that there even was hockey. This is how I envision these things. I just gave one to my nephew, so glad that I never bought one because I'm starting to make a small collection of these already. They are the lego version of allan keys, I have around 40 of those around the house!!

There should be a competition where a moc needs to utilize the separator.

No piece limits or size restrictions.

Categories of MOCs are divided by the number of separators used. :grin:

I don't get why they keep making them orange. Sure, it's a high visibility colour which helps when you want to grab one quickly. But they made a green one for the Horizon Express and other colours are easily visible too.

Why don't they make them a new colour each year, even if only in the most expensive sets? It could be like a badge of honour to own them. Like, "I got the enormous new *Friends Death Star/UCS Double Decker Couch/LEGO Ideas Goonies ship* and check out my *dark pink/sand blue/white/trans-purple/medium azure/tan* brick separator!". Or you could just BrickLink them. :P

I like this idea - every year come out with a new color of brick separator, or just make them out of whatever color happens to be free in the production line on a given day. Limit this slightly to solid colors, as the translucent plastic has different properties than straight ABS and may not be suited for this application, and it becomes a sort of blind-bag deal, where you're never sure what color you'll get until you open the box...