Sign in to follow this  
Emma

MEC Category C: Inside Information

"He gazed for what seemed an age, before drawn almost against his will, he stole from the shadow of the doorway, across the floor to the nearest edge of the mounds of treasure. Above him the sleeping dragon lay, a dire menace even in his sleep. He grasped a great two-handled cup, as heavy as he could carry, and cast one fearful eye upwards. Smaug stirred a wing, opened a claw, the rumble of his snoring changed its note...

15611880385_e656585859_c.jpg

Thieves! Fire! Murder! Such a thing had not happened since first he came to the Mountain! His rage passes description - the sort of rage that is only seen when rich folk that have more than they can enjoy suddenly lose something that they have long had but have never before used or wanted. His fire belched forth, the hall smoked, he shook the mountain-roots."

~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Hobbit

Here's my entry for the MEC category C. The Lord of the Rings brought me out of my dark ages so I had to get at least one build up for this contest...Now lets see if I can get something built for the other two categories before the deadline :snicker:. A few more pictures below, and still a few more on flickr.

15588210996_91f047d204_z.jpg

15425228779_78b37024e5_z.jpg

Edited by Emma

This is an excellent representation of that moment in the tale, Emma!

Smaug is amazingly detailed, especially his head. The posing is perfect for Smaug and Bilbo. For only having 16x16 for the base, this is certainly well utilized here in depicting the mountain stone and the piles of treasure.

Brick on, Emma!

Very keen idea to build the whole Smaug on 16x16 and you have made good work. The dragon is detailed, as is the treasure. And especially Bilbo's face fits really good.

Very nice idea and execution! Although I'm not a big fan of brickbuild animals, this Smaug looks quite smooth. Just a minor sugestion would be to replace the rock where Bilbo is hiding with a pillar. Would be more movie accurate but the pillar should be cut so it wouldn't cover the dragon. Well done and good luck!

Thanks so much for the comments/feedback guys :sweet:. It was fun trying to squish Smaug into 16x16, but the smaller space also enabled me to get a decent looking pile of gold (what you see here is just about every gold piece I've got).

Fantastic work on that entry!

It's great to see that you have managed to include Smaug in a build that is built just on 16x16 studs.

I really love the dragon and all the golden pieces you have used there. The scene looks like I have imagined it while reading the book.

Awesome build, Emma!

Smaug is very detailed and looks great! I love the use of the red dragon wing. It really resembles the shape of his head. But, my favorite part is all the gold pieces. It looks just like the inside of Erebor.