DarthTwoShedsJackson

[MOC] The GHOST from Star Wars: Rebels

outstanding! i wouldn't object if i were to get word of lego getting you to design a UCS ghost.. hehe

What a fantastic MOC! Very inspirational. Thank you for the detailed photos and description.

Thanks a lot!

I wouldn't object, either, if I were asked to design a large GHOST for Lego, because I like this ship very much. :grin:

I've made some little changes and improvements to finish the model, especially on the outside. The dark angled plating leading from the dorsal gun turret to the docking rings on either side has been improved, as has the ridge making up the upper part of the fuselage, leading from the cockpit to the dorsal gun turret by elongating the angled top up to the gun turret, making the ridge between the gun turret and the docked PHANTOM one plate higher and giving it a smoother finish using cheese slopes. Now I'm totally happy with the outside.

Ghost001.jpg

Ghost002.jpg

Ghost003.jpg

Ghost004.jpg

I also improved the frotal interior by adding two doors that clearly divide the interior into the cockpit section, the corridor behind that, and the little area with the ladder leading to the dorsal gun turret behind that. The doors simply slide upside-down onto their frames and are held in place by the half-plate wide snotted plate texture on the walls, and two cheese slopes respectively on the floor. They can be pulled out easily to give access to the area:

Ghost005.jpg

Enjoy! :classic:

Edited by DarthTwoShedsJackson

Something I would like to see improved is the turret. Though Kanan mans it often in the show, his hairpiece makes it impossible for him to sit there in the LEGO version; the only figure that can sit at the turret is Zeb.

Brilliant work, DarhtTwoShedsJackson! You should build yourself some more big models!

This model has everything. It has a beautiful exterior, with a wonderful shape and a very unique way of detailing, and it has a nice interior as well. I love how your brought out the complex shape of the ship, employing all kinds of tricky techniques (like angling those angle plates...). It's really well done, and it looks just as sturdy as the 'real' ship. The low amount of gaps is quite an achievement as well. And it's fantastic what you did with the bottom half of the ship: I appreciate that you take every angle into account. You really brought out the bulky shape there, and although it isn't in minifig scale, it still looks very imposing. Part of that might be from the detailing you did. There aren't any greebles on this ship, but still you succeeded in making it interesting, with all the decorations and patterns, that don't look redundant at all. Your use of color is very tasteful, and I wonder if the ship would even look so much better in SNOT... Maybe if you broke up the expanses of studs a bit more with some tiles here and there, it would already get some more realistic texture.

There really isn't a lot that can be improved, and still you treat us on these delicious updates. Maybe in a future one, could you make the transition between the Ghost and the Phantom a bit more smooth, because now we have a rather sharp edge there, contrasting with the very 'smooth' build outside of it. I'm also not too sure about the docking hatches. They seem a bit small and lack their cone shape. You could use wheel parts to make that section better. Same goes for the area surrounding the turret. It's quite blocky now at the front, not smooth and curved like on the original model. A windscreen like 62360 might do a good job there, being exactly the right size and shape. And I wonder if there's no way to make the front cockpit better... that would require some serious brick magic.

Maybe those little points would bring this MOC even closer to perfection, as you've already brought it very close to it. This really is the Rebels UCS set that will likely never be made. But thanks to you, we don't have to be unhappy about that, because we have your amazing model to look at. Keep those amazing models (and improvements!) coming!

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

Thanks a lot, especially for the neat suggestions, BEAVeR! The sharp edge where the PHANTOM meets the GHOST bothers me, too, and the windscreen-idea for the hull in front of the dorsal turret is definitely worth to have a go at. As for the docking rings, I've already tried some wheel options, but liked none of them. I'm pretty optimistic that a solution will represent itself, eventually. Yes, a MOC is never truly finished, ey?

Edit just discovered...: Thanks for blogging this - I feel honoured! :blush::classic:

Hi,

Very, very nice MOC. It is worth the UCS label. :)

I mean I doubt a UCS Ghost would much bigger or more detailed than your MOC. :)

You made a stable build, with good joints between all fairing elements.

2 points that are not ideal IMO :

- as Beaver said, the transition between the Ghost and the Phantom could be more smooth

- the bottom of the ship : waaay too blocky IMO. Maybe it very accurate, very close to the real ship. But still, I think it does'nt look good.

GhostE.jpgGhost2.jpg

It's tempting to add tan, dark tan and dark grey bricks and plates here and there to represent weathering, but it can easily become too much.

Very true.

I like it as a whole. I think the scale works well and as you said, you don't want it to be taking up too much space. One of the things I liked most is that areas like where the Phantom seperate were designed with the "cover" removed. So even with the Phantom out the space beneath doesn't look rough. Plus I like the way you have the cockpit sliding out and parts opening. Clearly a labor of love and all the effort has paid off.

DarthTwoShedsJackson, your images seem to have been taken down. That's really ashame, is there a way to fix this? (you might rehost them on Flickr, because else you seem to have to pay?)

DarthTwoShedsJackson, your images seem to have been taken down. That's really ashame, is there a way to fix this? (you might rehost them on Flickr, because else you seem to have to pay?)

Yeah, I'm on it. My GHOST MOC finally shot my free bandwith limit per month through the roof, it seems. The bandwidth limit will reset each month on the 22nd (the day I signed up on Photobucket). Since I've made some significant improvements on this MOC, I will have to shoot new photos anyway and post them here via link from a second free account I will sign up for, soon. The improvements include straight snotted edges on the sides and an angled straight snotted edge for the fin, some changes on the interior, less studs on the plating plus some modified colour patterns here and there to get it closer to the original, and a modified PHANTOM that now also fits a minifig in the back in addition to the pilot in the cockpit.

I'm wondering if I should do photographic instructions like I did for my Speeder Bike and my AT-ST - honestly not sure about this, because this will take some time to do for this beast.

Edited by DarthTwoShedsJackson

I just did sign up. Thanks for the tip. I will rehost my pictures tomorrow.

No problem. Happy to help!

Edited by GuyDudeMan27

Just picked this up last week and while Iit is a great set it leaves a lot to be desired. Your moc is great, I definitely plan on using some of your concepts on my own build. Thanks for posting this in detail!

I really would appreciate instructions on the front elevator and other aspects of the ship.

I would love to see some breakdown shots/instructions too.

The improvements made are wonderful. Can we have some interior picks? What about building instructions? :wub:

I saw the Lego set of the Ghost and it didn't interest me at all, until I caught the first 8 episodes of Rebels and was a bit intrigued...

And then I saw your MOC and BOOM! I am so interested in your version of the Ghost now!

I hope that you would be willing to do up instructions for this because I would definitely pay for the instructions and have one of your MOCs displayed in my house!

Beautiful, just beautiful! :thumbup:

Okay, I will make instructions, it'll just take some time, because I don't do LDD, but take breakdown photographs instead. Since this model is huge and some parts of the inner structure a bit complex, this will take a lot of pictures. So the first thing for me to do is break down the model into sections, and then break down the sections into steps that will allow you to understand how they are built. They will come, just bear with me.

Also: You'll never have to pay for instructions for my MOCs. This should be fun, not a monetary issue. This is not meant as an offence to MOCers who do sell instructions, though! Who am I to say my way is the only right way. :classic:

Okay, I will make instructions, it'll just take some time, because I don't do LDD, but take breakdown photographs instead. Since this model is huge and some parts of the inner structure a bit complex, this will take a lot of pictures. So the first thing for me to do is break down the model into sections, and then break down the sections into steps that will allow you to understand how they are built. They will come, just bear with me.

Also: You'll never have to pay for instructions for my MOCs. This should be fun, not a monetary issue. This is not meant as an offence to MOCers who do sell instructions, though! Who am I to say my way is the only right way. :classic:

I never expected that you'd actually say yes to that question! Wow. Thanks in advance, this MOC is wonderful and I'd love to build it for myself.

@DarthTwoShedsJackson: My Xmas wish came true! :)

This MOC is definitely too cool to pass up to build so I am definitely camping here!