On ‎13‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 11:59 AM, bonox said:

it's way better than the blue of the basic 3L pin. I'd be clamouring for that first!

It was first made in black, before Lego changed it to blue - so I doubt Lego will ever change it again...

I was lucky my parents bought me some technic sets before the color change so I have enough black ones for mocs, but now I have an entire box full of blue 3l pins that I never use .

Too bad lego didn't release 5l axles with stop in DBG or black :sad:

Edited by LXF

Hopefully they will continue to make it in more and more colors... It is one of the most useful parts to be released recently.

Just discovered that a new City set 60169 Cargo Terminal contains a new mold type for a well-known 2L worm gear: 32905, with only two internal "teeth" like in a half-bush.  So, it's clear that we will have a two worm gears - 2L and 1L (without shortly discontinued 3L). Did anyone face it? I suppose that it should have no friction as well...

32905.jpg

Edited by Void_S

43 minutes ago, Void_S said:

Just discovered that a new City set 60169 Cargo Terminal contains a new mold type for a well-known 2L worm gear: 32905, with only two internal "teeth" like in a half-bush.  So, it's clear that we will have a two worm gears - 2L and 1L (without shortly discontinued 3L). Did anyone face it? I suppose that it should have no friction as wel

Odd, but I guess it saves on some plastic in the moulding or something. (We now have two different sizes of worm drive, longer-but-smaller-diameter and shorter-but-larger-diameter.)

Geez that is the last thing on that mold that should be changed. How about making it 1L, that would save much more plastic

1 hour ago, Void_S said:

Just discovered that a new City set 60169 Cargo Terminal contains a new mold type for a well-known 2L worm gear: 32905, with only two internal "teeth" like in a half-bush.  So, it's clear that we will have a two worm gears - 2L and 1L (without shortly discontinued 3L). Did anyone face it? I suppose that it should have no friction as well...

According to rebrickable part list, that type 2L worm gear is also include in 42064, 42066, 75159. But I have 42064 and 66 can't find that type. I have only older 2L worm gear.

27 minutes ago, msk6003 said:

According to rebrickable part list, that type 2L worm gear is also include in 42064, 42066, 75159. But I have 42064 and 66 can't find that type. I have only older 2L worm gear.

Maybe it's an inventory upgrade for a the sets, shipped after a certain date? I remember the same story, when some sets came with 3-pinhole wheels and them after a some period were observed with 6-pinhole ones.

@Ivan_M, I don't mind, a small 1-L worm gear should be the best part for a compact Torsen diff.

2 hours ago, Void_S said:

It also looks like the ends have been changed slightly too, hopefully so they can work better when put end-to-end. 

1 hour ago, Ivan_M said:

Geez that is the last thing on that mold that should be changed. How about making it 1L, that would save much more plastic

Because they already made a 1L worm gear - just with a larger diameter.

12 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

And what if you rotate the second worm a quarter-turn? You sure tried that, didn't you? :wink:

Yes. gap still alive.

The close to 5000 pieces 70620 Ninjago City set certainly looks impressive. I tried to look for new technic parts, without much luck. The only recolor I spotted was the 1x2 liftarm, 43857, in Dark tan. There are probably more to be found. 

7 hours ago, msk6003 said:

Could be similar to wheel change we had with 8110, 42000 sets, where first batches have been released with old part, while later batches included upgraded part.

I was building the 75875 Ford F-150 Raptor & Ford Model A Hot Rod set last weekend with my son (great cars, really cool set!) and I was quite surprised to see the 32062 Notched 2L axle in black in the set. With a quick Bricklink verification I realised that this axle in black was not uncommon in non-Technic sets in the past few years, but I think it wasn't used in Technic sets for about 10 years or so.

Do you know if there's any particual reason why the ugly red version is used now exclusively for the Technic sets? There're so many cases where the red axle stands out and it would be much-much better to use a black one. Honestly I was sure Lego didn't make the black version anymore, but now that I see that it's used in other themes I really don't understand the logic behind.

Well , now they use any length axles in yellow & red instead of neutral grey & black. even with 1:1 scale image down on the page :wacko: Maybe nowadays kids are too spoiled with smartphones and internet to notice 1 stud difference between axles

Edited by LXF

1 hour ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

The black axle is used in some new sets like the Stunt Bike.

Didn't know that either, thanks! It means there's still hope for the new bigger sets :)

2 minutes ago, kbalage said:

Didn't know that either, thanks! It means there's still hope for the new bigger sets :)

I wouldn't hold my breath. They had a chance to do use black elements in the Porsche and went with the regular colors instead (blue pins etc). This was in a licensed product, where looks would seem more critical.  Oddly enough the Exosuit set used black 2L axles, which makes theories about color choices made by TLG harder to establish. 

10 hours ago, kbalage said:

Do you know if there's any particual reason why the ugly red version is used now exclusively for the Technic sets? There're so many cases where the red axle stands out and it would be much-much better to use a black one. Honestly I was sure Lego didn't make the black version anymore, but now that I see that it's used in other themes I really don't understand the logic behind.

The Porsche indeed has two of them, like @TechnicRCRacer mentioned. They are used in red in Technic to distinguish them better from the 2L pin. The logic is quite simple :laugh:

Just now, Jim said:

The ;Porsche indeed has two of them, like @TechnicRCRacer mentioned. They are used in red in Technic to distinguish them better from the 2L pin. The logic is quite simple :laugh:

And they still come in red in red models like 42029, why TLG is doing this, they obviously have to make them in purple for such sets! I cannot distinguish them from 15L beam

11 minutes ago, Ivan_M said:

And they still come in red in red models like 42029, why TLG is doing this, they obviously have to make them in purple for such sets! I cannot distinguish them from 15L beam

:tongue:

It would be nice to have them in multiple colors though. Same goes for some of the other axles. 

On the other hand; I don't really mind that they are red. It's still LEGO Technic after all. And if you really want, you can get black ones for cheap.

22 hours ago, msk6003 said:

Can't connect end-to-end like 2L worm gear. Little gap have. :angry:

Re LEGO Worm Gear 1 Module for Angled Gear (27938)
Whilst checking this I found there is a gap at all possible alignments between two adjacent worm gears, sufficient to cause problems engaging with a rack gear.

Also found another problem in that the new worm teeth does not engage to full depth with the driven angled gear so under high loadins there is a possibillity of the gears skipping.

The LEGO Worm Gear with Old Axle (4716) does engage to full depth with the driven gear

See image which shows this difference.

35075713710_6b25414a10_z.jpg

Edited by Doug72
spelling